Trapped in Europe’s Quagmire: The situation of asylum seekers and refugees in Bulgaria is Bordermonitoring’s report on Bulgaria. The making of the report was undertaken by four independent researchers and follows structural conditions in the country which place asylum-seekers and refugees in an extremely vulnerable position as well as their current precarious situation.
The themes covered in the report are as follows:
- Push-backs and violence at the Bulgarian border
- From overcrowded camps to the production of homelessness
- Integration in flux: a path to exclusion in a state of chaos
- Xenophobia and racists assaults: institutions, far-right, street violence
- Asylum procedures: the legal experts’ opinion
- Europe’s most unwanted: restrictions on free movement
It is available as of now: PDF download.
Bordermonitoring advises against the conduct of Dublin returns to Bulgaria until the country can ensure dignified treatment of all asylum-seekers and refuges on its territory. Bordermonitoring continues to closely follow the developments in Bulgaria.